Just 20 minutes from Dublin Airport, the Boyne Valley Hotel has something for everyone. Situated on the cusp of counties Meath, Louth and Dublin, the Boyne Valley Hotel has everything you could want on your doorstep. Some of Ireland’s most stunning heritage sites are dotted within easy reach of the hotel. If shopping is your preferred activity then Drogheda has all you could ask for.
If you crave being pampered in luxury a selection of stylish and luxurious Day Spas in Drogheda will cater for your every desire.
Travelling with children? Fear not! There is a great selection of local activities (both free and fee-paying) for you to choose from. Fun for all the family at the Boyne Valley Hotel.
If you long for more strenuous activity you’ve chosen the right place. Take a stroll along Bettystown Beach, hit 18 holes, play tennis, hill walk or take part in team building events. It is all on your doorstep!
Head downtown into Drogheda and visit the Drogheda Playground (open during daylight hours). Visit the town centre to explore some of our fascinating historical sites. See St Oliver Plunkett’s Head in St. Peter’s Church on West Street. Take a trip out to Oldbridge to see the site of the Battle of the Boyne – you might even catch a re-enactment with the local historical society on horseback wearing full battle uniform. If you are going for a spin you could go to visit:
- Ardgillan Castle with enormous gardens, which are great for playing in.
- Newbridge House to visit the playground, have a picnic and see the animals.
- Beautiful Bettystown Beach and build sandcastles before enjoying a yummy ice-cream
Alternatively take a Walking Tour of Historic Drogheda which take place from Tuesday to Friday, starting on May 8th to September 28th departing from the Tourist Office, The Tholsel West Street, at 3pm. These tours must be prebooked at the office before 2.45pm ( phone 041-9872843). Included in the tours are The Tholsel, High Lanes Gallery, Old Grammar School , Town Walls at Featherbed Lane, St Laurence Gate, Magdalene Tower, St Peter's Churchyard, St Peter's Roman Catholic Church and St Oliver Plunkett Shrine, Boyne Viaduct and Millmount.
Cost Adults €3 Students & OAP's €2 Children ( under 14) €1.50
There are lots more things that kids will enjoy in this area:
- Funtasia – Waterpark and Funpark
Enjoy fabulous family fun at Funtasia Waterpark and Funtasia Bettystown, the home of great days out and brilliant birthday parties. Try Funtasia wonderful waterpark, themed birthday parties, fantasy bowling, sky climb, crazy golf, magnificent play area, casino and loads and loads of fairground fun. Funtasia is Ireland’s best indoor entertainment centre. They have a day out to suit everyone! They have a waterpark for all ages, sky climb for the adventurous, bowling for the energetic, casino for the adults and play area for the little ones!
- Drogheda Omniplex - fun for all the family with kids club! Boasting the latest in projection and digital sound technology, Omniplex Cinemahas become the standard bearer for multiplex facilities. Stadium seating in all screens with superbly comfortable seats and more than comfortable leg room provide customers with a first class environment to watch the latest blockbuster movies. Drogheda Omniplex. In Screen 1 Luxury Recliner seats are included in a VIP reserved area to give customers an even more extra special cinema experience. There are ATM ticket purchase and collection machines in foyer. At the concessions areas choose from freshly made Popcorn, Ice-Cold Drinks and Delicious Pick N’ Mix Sweets.
Open since 1988, it is Ireland’s leading genuine working farm open to the public. The farm, only 30 minutes from Dublin surrounds the famous national monument of Newgrange. It is a family owned and run working farm and educational facility, where adults and children can try bottle feeding, holding, feeding, petting and seeing all the farm animals and poultry and so much more.
Come and watch the Newgrange Farm Sheep Race on Sunday, bank holidays and special event day afternoons (weather permitting). Great fun for everyone! There is also a tractor trailer ride available, which takes its passengers down through the farm crops and livestock, to the River Boyne and national monuments and past the tooth fairies’ palace! (Only available for booked groups, or weather permitting, when sufficient numbers want it and farm work allows it)
Drogheda is a great place for family friendly festivals.
Watch out for the below events & festivals:
- Drogheda Arts Festival (May)
- Boyne 10k Run (including children) (May)
- Drogheda Maritime Festival (13th -15th June)
- Samba Festival (July)
- Bellewstown Racing Festival (July and August)
- Laytown Races (September ) – horse racing on Laytown Beach
- Leanbh Children’s Arts Festival (October)